On the hunt for the best curling iron for thick hair? Anyone who’s ever had to style thick hair knows that any old styling tool wont cut it.
Let’s face it, styling thick hair can take a long time and its often hard to hold a curl. Some of the factors you want to consider when looking for the best curling iron for thick hair include a wide barrel, high heat and an ergonomic and lightweight curling iron design.
With this in mind, we have put together a list of the best curling irons for thick hair and a helpful buying guide and FAQs that will help you decide which curling iron is right for you.
6 of the Best Curling Irons for Thick Hair
1. BIO IONIC Gold PRO Wand Styling Iron
Kicking off our list of best curling irons for thick hair is the Gold PRO Wand by BIO IONIC. While there are several amazing curling irons for thick hair featured on this list, this curling iron presented to be the best value for money considering the quality and features of the tool.
Speaking of features, one of the most important features that you should look for in curling irons for thick hair is the maximum heat setting. You want a curling iron that could reach at least 350 °F if your hair is dense and unyielding. We love the BIO IONIC Gold PRO Wand Styling Iron styling iron because it heats up to 450 °F, hot enough to curl the most stubborn hair type.
In terms of ease of use and ergonomics, I love how lightweight the Gold Pro curling iron is. This is an important factor when curling thick hair as it can take longer to style. It’s compact, lightweight, and incredibly efficient.
As you know, gold is an excellent heat conductor and the Gold Pro generates and retains consistent heat, giving you lasting curls! The Gold Pro technology heat activates negative ions that prevent frizz and static and results in shiny curls. Overall, the device’s ability to curl thick hair is incredible and this goes even for those with unruly, thick hair.
It is important to note that this curling iron does not have a clamp, which may be a downside for some users. However, clamp-free curling irons are incredibly easy to use once you have the technique down pat.
- Can reach temperatures up to 450°F which is great for hard-to-curl locks
- Infused with Bio Ionic’s 24k Gold Ceramic Mineral Complex for even heat distribution and moisture retention
- The lightness (6 oz) makes it easy to curl long hair
- Negative ions add polish and tamp down frizz and static
- The 1-inch clipless barrel is versatile and can create tight curls or loose waves
- Comes with a swivel cord and 1-hour automatic shutoff
- The lack of a clip means there’s a learning curve for beginners
2. T3 – SinglePass Curl 1 Inch Professional Curling Iron
- T3 Custom Blend Ceramic barrel
- SmartTwist Dial
- SinglePass Technology
Next on our list for the best curling irons for thick hair is the T3 SinglePass Curl Professional Curling Iron. This highly-rated curling iron is perfect for thick hair due to the custom-blend ceramic barrel material that allows for efficient styling while the 1.25-inch barrel size makes it easy to work with long thick hair.
Whether you are looking to create spirals, waves, or curls, you will be able to achieve consistently perfect curls every time. This is down to the Digital T3 SinglePass technology that maintains a consistent barrel temperature to deliver smooth and long-lasting curls. For anyone that has thick hair, you will want to lean towards a product that will cut down styling time wherever possible, while still producing great curls.
What else is there to love about T3 SinglePass Curling Iron? Well, to start, you’ll get to choose from 5 adjustable heat settings, a range that’s wide enough to accommodate all hair types, whatever the texture. That means you won’t have to clip and wait for ages waiting for the perfect curl to manifest because the heat can be adjusted to adapt to the thickness of your hair. Turning the dial changes the settings and its positioned to prevent accidental activations when the curling iron is in use. The device remembers your previous heat setting so you don’t have to readjust with each use.
Another thing I love about this curling iron is its lightweight, ergonomic design. As someone who’s used to getting sore wrists from long styling sessions, this was a refreshing feature. Adding to the convenience is the intelligent construction of this product. For example, the cool tip doubles as a stand to keep the barrel away from hard surfaces. This is handy when you’re taking a break and want to put the curling iron down.
This hair curling tool is capable of auto world voltage so you can take this with you when traveling so you can get natural-looking curls on vacations and business trips.
The curling iron is an easy recommendation but it does come with a hefty price tag. When first using it, take extra precautions because the iron gets very hot. Make sure it’s pointed at the lowest heat setting before you work your way up so you prevent frying your locks
- Made of ceramic for efficient curling
- The barrel is 1.25-inch thick, great for long hair
- Features T3 SinglePass technology that provides even heat so your curls last
- Comes with 5 adjustable heat settings that’s ideal for all hair types
- The smart dial prevents accidental clicks when in use
- Has a lightweight design that reduces wrist soreness
- Has a cool tip stand
- The dual voltage capability makes this a good travel curling iron
- Quite expensive
- The barrel gets very hot so one needs to be careful not to start at the highest setting
3. ghd Creative Curl Wand
- Tri-Zone Ceramic Technology
- Tapered barrel
- 30-minute Automatic Sleep Mode
- Universal Voltage
- On-off Switch
- Professional-length Cord
airstyling isn’t rocket science but sometimes, it feels almost as difficult. With this curling iron, you won’t have to fumble awkwardly to get the hair you want, whether it’s deep curls or loose beachy waves.
The Creative Curl Wand has a tapered oval barrel that makes gripping locks easy. Smart sensors track the temperature, keeping the heat at an optimal 365°F and ensuring you get the same power all throughout the wand.
The curling iron is coated with ceramic, an effective yet gentle heating component that creates smooth, flawless waves. With a heat up time of 25 seconds, you can curl and go in a few minutes.
Aside from cutting edge heat technology, ghd also places features that make this wand so intuitive to use. I’ve been burned a couple times while concentrating on curling my hair so I appreciate the protective cool tip this iron has. It also comes with a safety stand to prop up the wand when you’re not using it.
By far, the best feature that really makes a difference is the press and hold design for the on/off switch, which prevents styling accidents. Another thing I like is the swivel cable and long cord, as well as the shutoff timer. I also love how clean and sleek it looks and feels, a small detail that makes using the curling iron feel luxurious.
If you’re someone used to using tongs, using this curl wand will take a bit of practice. Once you get the hang of it, curling your long locks will feel effortless.
- Has a tapered oval-shaped barrel that creates amazing waves
- Features a smart temperature sensing technology that keeps the wand at 365°F
- Ceramic coated for gentle and even heat distribution
- Has a 25-second heat up time
- The cool tip prevents burns
- A safety stand keeps the wand from burning your table or countertop
- Lots of safety and convenience features
- It takes time to get used to this wand because it works differently from a tong
4. Hot Tools Professional 24K Gold Regular Barrel Curling Iron
Curling long, thick tresses calls for a heavy-duty styling tool that provides consistent, salon-worthy results. That’s exactly what you can expect with the Hot Tools Professional 24K Gold Regular Barrel Curling Iron. No doubt about it, this curling iron is pretty with its 24K gold barrel and jet-black accents but this device isn’t just all good looks. It features a unique curling surface that tames the most unyielding hair. From beachy waves to romantic curls, elegant twists, and face-framing tendrils, it does it all!
The Hot Tools Professional 24K gold plated barrel applies healthy heat evenly to curl every hair strand to perfection. This device also comes with the brand’s proprietary Pulse Technology so the curling wand is hot and it stays hot throughout the curling process for consistent results. If your hair is damaged, prone to damage, or color-treated, you will love the it’s multiple heat settings and rheostat control dial. With these features, you get optimum control over the temperature, which minimizes the risk of hair damage.
And if you have unmanageable hair, the curling iron heats up to a toasty 430°F. That, and the ergonomically designed handle allows you to create salon-worthy curls, it’s the perfect tool for hair that could not hold a curl.
Overall the variable and high heating settings and 24k gold barrel material of the Hot Tools Professional curling iron is why I consider it to be one of the best curling irons for thick hair.
- Looks opulent with its gold barrel and matte black accents
- Versatile and can create waves, curls, twists, and other styles
- Evenly distributes heat on the strands from end to end to prevent hair damage
- Retains heat through sensors so the iron stays hot, with temperatures of up to 430°F
- Fitted with multiple heat settings and rheostat dial so you can adjust the temperature easily
- Has a soft touch handle, a foldaway stand and a rotating cool tip
- It’s not for fine or thin hair because of the high heat settings (best for thick, coarse hair)
- The heat dial makes it a bit too easy to crank up the heat so the user should be careful not to overdo it
5. Remington T Studio Curling Wand
Everyday styling can do a number on your hair. It could leave your hair dry and dull from the constant heat exposure. Apart from applying heat protecting products to your tresses prior to curling your hair, it’s important to use a gentle styling tool, one that imparts healthy heat to your hair. The Remington T Studio Curling Wand is a part of the brand’s newest generation of heat styling tools that are infused with moisture-boosting crushed pearls.
In Asia, crushed pearls are a popular skincare ingredient known to restore the resilience and youthfulness of aging skin. Used as a hair treatment, crushed pearls lock in moisture and boost shine, restoring the health of dry, damaged hair. The crushed pearls also smoothen the hair cuticles so your hair stays silky, smooth, and full of shine. Now isn’t that something?
If you have thick hair then you know that even, consistent heat is key to achieving lasting curls. That’s exactly what you can expect with the T Studio!
If you are all about options then you will love the T Studio curling wand. The conical pearl ceramic barrel lets you create a variety of curls. It also comes with 10 heat settings (max 410°F), temperature lock, and digital controls, all of which help in terms of creating the perfect curl. I love the temperature lock feature, in particular, not a lot of curling tools come with the same technology. This feature lets you set your preferred temperature during styling, making the entire process quick and easy.
The T Studio curling wand is suitable for most hair types but it might not be the best choice for people with short hair. The 1”-1½” is too wide for users with chin-length hair so curling won’t be as precise.
- Has crushed pearl infusions that keep hair healthy and shiny and treats damage
- Seals the hair cuticle for silky, smooth locks
- Provides consistent and even heat for curls that last you the whole day, and then some
- The conical ceramic barrel is versatile and can create an array of styles
- Comes with 10 heat settings, capping at 410°F
- Convenient to use with features like a salon-length swivel cord, temperature lock, auto shutoff, LCD display and digital controls
- Suits all hair types and comes with a protective glove
- This curling wand may not feel comfortable to use on short or chin-length hair because the barrel is too big for precise curling
6. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron
If you want a traditional curling iron that gets the job done for a good price, this is the best styling wand for you. It looks like your average curling iron with its clip on barrel and baby blue handle but it comes with 50 heat settings. Whatever your hair type, this has you covered. It heats up to 450°F, an impressive feat.
Though the wand gets hot, your locks won’t get scorched or frizzed up because this uses Sol-Gel Ceramic technology. The barrel is made of titanium and ceramic nanoparticles that are concentrated, making this a durable and chemical resistant iron worth splurging on.
The nano titanium barrel emits far infrared heat which is healthier for your hair because it transfers heat within the hair strand so you get less damage. The 1-inch width can create the laziest of curls and the most intricate waves.
If you’re in a rush, press the turbo heat button to speed up styling and get more curl definition. The 8-foot swivel cord makes curling possible even while far from a power source.
What this curling iron lacks is a cool tip, especially since it delivers such high temperatures. An automatic shutoff would have been nice to have, as well as a digital readout. However, for the price, this is such a great deal that I won’t hesitate recommending.
- The barrel is made with Sol-Gel Ceramic Technology for a concentrated titanium and ceramic barrel that lasts long and resists chemicals and hair products
- Comes with 50 heat settings up to 450°F
- Uses far infrared heat to prevent scorched locks
- The barel is 1-inch wide for versatile styling
- Has a turbo heat button and 8-foot swivel cord
- It doesn’t have a cool tip which is a practical feature found in most curling irons
- There is no automatic shutoff feature and digital display
A Guide to Finding the Best Curling Irons for Thick Hair
What’s the best curling iron for thick hair? Here are some of the factors to consider when searching for the right curler for your hair type:
Those with thick hair will want to opt for a curling iron with a wide barrel. A curler with a barrel size between 1.5 to 2 inches is the best size curling iron for this hair type.
The shape of the barrel can affect the size and type of curl you are after. Curling irons tend to have a cylindrical-shaped whereas a curling wand has a conical-shaped barrel. The benefit of a curling wand is that these kinds of curlers can be angeled crown to pump up the volume.
Titanium is one of the more suitable curling iron barrel materials for thick hair due to its high heat and quick heat up resulting in more efficient hair curling. With that in mind, you must always use a hair protecting spray or serum when using hot styling tools.
How To Curl Thick Hair
Those with long or thick hair will know styling can be laborious. With that in mind, here’s are some simple tips and tricks to make flawless beach waves and bouncy curls.
- As we mentioned above, an essential first step is applying a heat protectant. Curling irons can get hot! This could be a serum or spray. Whatever you choose, make sure it’s formulated to protect hair from damage.
- When it comes to using a curling iron for long or thick hair, sectioning the hair before styling will be key. I would recommend purchasing a packet of hair clips or clamps and diving the hair into several sections.
- Start with the bottom sections of the hair and work towards the top layers.
- One thing to keep in mind is that a curling iron for long or thick hair tends to have a wide barrel. This means you won’t be able to get as close to the root of the hair as you would with a thinner barrel.
- Picking up the end a hair section, wrap around the barrel. If you have a curling iron with a clamp, clamp the hair at the ends and roll up until the hair is completely around the barrel.
- Hold for a few seconds and then release.
- Repeat for the rest of your locks, wrapping two-inch sections at a time. Try varying the directions of the curls if you want a more casual look.
- Finish with a hair spray.
- Finger comb your hair gently to loosen up the waves.
Wrap Up: The Best Curling Iron for Long Thick Hair
One of the most common issues with curling long, straight hair is that the tresses could not hold a curl for long. The key to creating lasting curls is getting the temperature right. You need a curler that could reach the high temperatures to create curls that will last all day. The same thing can be said for taming thick tresses, use a heavy-duty yet lightweight curling iron that heats up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit to curl unmanageable locks.
Precision is everything when curling long, thick hair so a curler with a cool tip – or at the very least, one that comes with free heat-resistant gloves – will give you more control over your curls. We hope that this guide has helped you find the best curling iron for long thick hair! What’s your favorite?
Other Recommended Curling Irons for Long Thick Hair
About the AuthorLeah Williams is the founder of Lucky Curl and has been in the hair care and styling industry for the last 15 years. Since then, she has developed incredible expertise and a deep understanding of how to treat and style the most difficult hair types and is passionate about sharing her knowledge with the readers of Lucky Curl.
Whats the Difference Between a 32mm Curling Wand vs 25mm Curling Wand?
In this helpful curling iron size guide, we explain the difference between a 25mm vs 32mm curling wand and the benefits of each.
Find Your Natural Hair Type: Curl Patterns & Textures
Attention curly girls: Lucky Curl covers the different hair types for naturally curly hair and great hair styles that you can rock!
Curling Iron Sizes – A Comprehensive Guide for Choosing the Right Size
From beach waves to corkscrews, Lucky Curl covers everything you need to know about curling iron sizes. Plus, 9 helpful tips for using a curling iron.
Chi Spin n Curl Review – Lucky Curl Reviews This Best-Selling Curler
Lucky Curl reviews the best selling Chi Spin n Curl automatic hair curling tool. We cover the product benefits and pros/cons.
5 of the Best Dual Voltage Curling Iron Tools
Lucky Curl lists the 5 Best Dual Voltage Curling Irons - perfects for travellers! Enjoy flawless locks, even on your overseas vacation. Reviews & FAQs included.
TYME Curling Iron Review – Best Features & Benefits
In this expert product review we discover the best features and notable benefits of the TYME Iron Pro 2-in-1 Curler & Straightener. Does it meet expectations?