Men do need to care for their hair and scalp, but more often than not, the hair care products that they are using are not appropriate for them. This often leads to poor hair quality, not to mention dry scalp too. These issues won’t be a problem if you are using the best shampoo for men.
How to Choose Shampoo for Men
Guys know that shampoo and conditioner go hand in hand. But when it comes to buying a pair, the number of products up on the shelves can be quite overwhelming. The first thing that you need to keep in mind when selecting a shampoo for men is that they are not all alike. If you want to up the ante when it comes to men s grooming, you should consider the following:
Choose by Hair Type
Your hair type will play a role in how you will choose your daily shampoo. Ask yourself, what your shampoo would be if you have this hair type:
- Fine Hair: Volumizing shampoos work best for guys who have fine hair.
- Thin Hair: Hair thinning can happen as you age or because of genetics. That said, a thickening shampoo can help make your hair strands thicker with repeated use.
- Curly Hair: You will need a shampoo that can highlight or add more details to your curls.
- Straight Hair: Straight hair that has some frizz here and there can be remedied when you look for a smoothening hair product. This will help tame the frizz or flyaways.
- Delicate Hair: For strands that are prone to breakage, a sulfate-free shampoo can help. Since it is sulfate-free, it will not lather as much as you are used to, but it does cleanse your hair from impurities.
Choose by Concern
You can also narrow down your choices for the best shampoo by thinking about what hair and scalp problem that they promise to fix. If ever you have concerns about your hair or your scalp, consider the following:
- Oily Hair: A clarifying shampoo can help reduce the amount of oil building up on your hair and scalp. You can look for a hair product that can help regulate oil production on your scalp to minimize excess oil on your strands.
- Dry Hair: If you are dealing with dry scalp and hair, then grab for a moisturizing shampoo. This type of hair product nourishes and moisturizes the scalp and hair to improve your hair’s condition.
- Product Buildup: Too much use of hair products can leave your hair feeling heavy, greasy, and dry even. Get rid of excess buildup by using a clarifying shampoo instead as this can dislodge any products that got left behind.
- Dandruff: An anti dandruff shampoo should be used on your hair and scalp if you have dry scalp. If you do not fix this problem quickly, you may end up with white flakes falling around your shoulders which can be embarrassing.
How to Use the Best Shampoo for Men Correctly
Finding the right shampoo and conditioner for your mane is all well and good, but are you using them correctly? If you don’t want to end up with damaged hair, you should follow these tips.
- Wet your hair with warm water to help remove or dislodge buildup on strands and scalp.
- Apply a small amount of shampoo on the palm of your hand, then spread from the roots to the tips. If you are sporting long hair, work the hair product into the strands, and combing through them to get rid of any tangles.
- Give yourself a massage by massaging your head and neck to help boost blood flow in these areas. Do this for several minutes. Not only will this help loosen up any buildup, but it will also give the product ample time to work on your mane.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly then use a wide-toothed comb to comb. This will help get rid of the tangles. Just don’t pull on the comb when it gets stuck on a clump of hair.
- Follow this up with conditioner to help make your hair soft, smooth, and shiny even. Just use the same amount of conditioner as you did when applying shampoo.
- Wash your hair after several minutes. See to it that you have removed as much of the conditioner used on your mane so it won’t feel heavy.
- Pat your hair dry rather than scrubbing at it with your towel. If you scrub or rub on your strands while they are still wet, you are risking your mane from damage because of the strands brittle condition.
Following these steps for washing your hair using the best shampoo and conditioner can help improve your hair and scalp’s condition considerably. Having a well-cared-for scalp and hair can add more to your overall look.
A Review of the Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Men
There are several products that can fall under the category of best shampoos for men. So far, the selection below stood out for me. Perhaps you can start with them when you are looking for the best shampoos to use by men.
Tea Tree Special Shampoo
If you are looking for men s daily shampoo that will not be too harsh on your scalp as well as your mane, then the Tea Tree Special Shampoo is a good choice. The natural ingredients used here are natural tea tree oil, lavender, plus peppermint to help soothe the scalp. Tea tree oil is known to remove impurities so seeing this ingredient on shampoos is quite refreshing. You only need to apply a small amount on your mane and start cleaning. The combination of special ingredients plus tea tree oil is perfect for reviving your mane.
The difference between this brand and those of others is the fact that it cleans hair without stripping them of their natural oils. It is paraben-free, safe on colored hair, plus the ingredients are vegan too. Your strands will smell great thanks to the lavender in it.
- Natural tea tree and peppermint cleanse and refresh the scalp as well as your mane.
- It cleanses any buildup on our hair strands.
- It is free from harsh ingredients but rather it is packing plenty of natural ingredients that are safer for you and for everyone.
- It can strip the normal oil from your mane.
- The packaging isn’t great since the head tends to get broken during delivery.
- The price for a small bottle is too expensive.
Brickell Men’s Products Daily Strengthening Shampoo for Men
Brittle strands can make you worry about hair loss, but this won’t be a problem for the daily strengthening shampoo offered by Brickell Men’s. Made from natural ingredients, you can use it on all hair types. This works better too on men who have damaged, dull, or thinning hair. Even if you have color treated strands, this shampoo can still be used.
The active ingredients found in this daily strengthening shampoo are peppermint as well as tea tree oil which are known to cleanse, refresh, and stimulate the scalp to help revitalize your mane. Other ingredients that are included in this product are aloe vera, vitamin E, silk amino acids, peppermint, and tea tree just to name a few. With this list of ingredients, you will be able to strengthen and boost hair growth to battle thinning or delicate strands.
- The natural ingredients used here are considered for their function in boosting your mane’s overall health and growth.
- It can be used on guys with dull, damaged, or even thinning hair.
- It cleanses and rejuvenates both hairs as well as scalp.
- The effects of the shampoo are hardly noticeable.
- It is pricey for a natural shampoo.
- It can lead thin hair to dry up with regular use.
K + S Salon Quality Men’s Shampoo
One of the best shampoos for men that you should consider is from K + S Salon. Aside from having a pretty bottle, the products that they are offering can be used on all hair types. The peppermint ingredient used in this product can help invigorate your scalp to help waken the pores and to have more blood flowing through as well. Tea tree, on the other hand, helps remove any buildup of impurities thus encouraging more growth.
What makes this brand ideal as a daily shampoo? Well, it is specially formulated to match the user’s busy lifestyle and who wants a no-fuss kind of hair products that they can use safely. Regardless of whether you are fighting dandruff, or you just want a multi-functional anti dandruff shampoo, this men’s shampoo is a real treat. The combination of ingredients helps keep dandruff at bay, while moisturizing and nourishing the strands.
- It can work on all hair types.
- The combination of tea tree, as well as peppermint, has helped invigorate the scalp and strands.
- It is an anti dandruff shampoo that can remove those stubborn flakes on your scalp.
- The smell of peppermint is too strong.
- You might experience some side effects like
- It works just like the average hair products out there.
Rocky Mountain Barber Company – Men’s Shampoo
Another option that you should consider is the Rocky Mountain Barber Company. Just like the first one, it does have tea tree as well as peppermint which have been found to be effective in revitalizing the scalp. If you are bothered by the slow growth of your mane, or that you are in need of shampoo conditioner that can nourish your strands, this one can help out. It soothes and boost strands at the same time which is important.
It has a unique scent to it since it doesn’t rely on commercial fragrances. Instead, you will get all-natural scents that can linger for hours. What else is there to like about this plane is the fact that it can be used on all hair types. If you have dull, dry, and brittle strands you shouldn’t expose it to harsh chemicals. A safer bet is to go all natural with Rocky Mountain Barber company. This is because the hair product is not carrying any harsh chemicals like SLS and parabens.
- It uses only all natural ingredients to preserve the beauty of your strands.
- The scent comes from the lavender solution that can be applied or sprayed on churchgoers.
- It is designed to work for all making it a great addition to your hair care arsenal.
- It can make your dandruff woes even worse.
- It doesn’t do much for oily or dry strands.
- The price tag is too high for a small bottle.
Redken Brews Daily Shampoo For Men
Using harsh shampoos on your mane can have a drying effect that can be avoided if you choose Redken Brews daily shampoo for men. As promised, this everyday shampoo leaves your hair strands as well as your scalp clean, smooth, and soft to the touch without stripping them of their natural oils. Not only that, but your mane won’t look and feel weighed down after washing since it can make your hair feel lightweight. The malt ingredient is added for its nourishing effects which the scalp needs in order to remain moisturized.
Finding the best shampoo to use by men isn’t all that hard when you can go for the Redken Brews on a daily basis. It is effective in cleansing and nourishing your mane without drying the strands which is a plus given that other commercial shampoos can have an effect like that. It also makes use of glycerin and protein for nourishing and protecting strands at the same time.
- It cleanses hair of impurities without removing the oils produced by the scalp.
- Your hair will not look as if it is weighed down by products but rather it is lightweight.
- It only uses natural ingredients to help with growing healthy strands.
- It has a distinct scent that is not enjoyable for everyone.
- It can leave your strands feeling oily.
- The natural scent doesn’t last very long.
Every Man Jack 2-in-1 Daily Shampoo
For guys who don’t want anything fancy for their damaged hair, Every Man Jack is a great option to consider. This 2-in-1 daily shampoo is designed to cleanse your mane from the roots all the way to the tips every time you wash it. This helps in strengthening your strands without removing the natural oils. What’s great about this product is that it is naturally derived. The surfactants used came from coconut, while the shea butter and glycerin helps maintain the smooth strands you’ve always wanted. If you are worried that you are constantly exposing your mane to chemicals, you’ll be happy to know that this one is devoid of any chemical components.
Can this be for everyday use? Absolutely! It is designed to nourish and soothe the scalp while cleansing impurities so if you tend to go outdoors all the time, or are commuting and exposed to the elements, washing your hair with this product is a must.
- 2-in-1 daily shampoo and conditioner work perfectly on any hair type.
- It cleanses the hair and even the scalp without drying them.
- It doesn’t come with any harsh ingredients.
- Bottle is small compared to its high price tag.
- The smell is reminiscent of an orange soda.
- The bottle tends to leak which can be a problem during delivery.
Which shampoo conditioner from this list can be called the best shampoo to use by guys? What stood out for me is the K + S Salon Quality Men’s shampoo is the fact that it cleanses buildup easily. The ingredients used are chosen for their abilities to enrich and enhance scalp as well as hair to have smooth, gorgeous hair strands every time you step outside. And to cap it all, it is also an anti dandruff shampoo so you can say goodbye to those pesky flakes that have been plaguing your scalp.
About the AuthorLeah Williams is the founder of Lucky Curl and has been in the hair care and styling industry for the last 15 years. Since then, she has developed incredible expertise and a deep understanding of how to treat and style the most difficult hair types and is passionate about sharing her knowledge with the readers of Lucky Curl.
Best Clarifying Shampoo – 5 Top-Rated Options for a Hair Detox
Lucky Curl reviews 5 of the best selling clarifying shampoos for squeaky clean hair. We cover benefits and what to look for when choosing a clarifying shampoo.
Best Shampoo for Hair Loss – 5 Options to Restore Thinning Hair
Lucky Curl reviews 5 top rated shampoos for those experiencing hair loss and thinning hair. Plus, what to look for when choosing a shampoo for your hair loss.
Best Shampoo for Colored Hair – 6 Top Rated Products
Lucky Curl reviews 6 of the best shampoos for colored hair. Care for your hair with these nourishing, hydrating and restorative shampoos. Plus, buying guide.
Best Heat Protectant for Fine Hair – 5 Top Rated Options
Lucky Curl reviews 5 of the best heat protectants for fine hair. If you use hair styling tools, these products are essential for protecting against damage.
Best Shampoo for Dry Hair – 5 Top-Rated Hydrating Shampoos
Lucky Curl covers 5 of the best shampoos for dry hair. If you have rough, damaged, or brittle strands try these recommendations for hydrated locks.
Best Treatment for Dry Hair – 5 Effective Masks & Conditioners
Lucky Curl reviews 5 of the best treatments for dry hair. Plus, how to choose and how to use conditioning treatments for dry and damaged hair.