In this article, we’ll discuss the top reasons why your hair feels like straw and ways to fix it.
However, if you’re looking for a quick answer to the question “why is my hair so dry and brittle?”, here’s what Lucky Curl has to say…
Too much use of heated styling tools like flat iron and blow dryer can result in dry, brittle hair. Also, washing hair too often and the use of harsh ingredients like sulfate can cause dry damaged hair.
Let’s expound on that thought in the succeeding sections!
Common Reasons Why Your Hair is Dry and Brittle
Dry and frizzy hair could be a result of an overlooked hair care routine. It is important to identify the root of your hair problem so that you can easily come up with an effective hair care solution.
So, these are common reasons why your hair is dry and frizzy:
- Overuse of heat-based styling tools
- Washing hair too often
- Using a shampoo with harsh ingredients
- Not using conditioner enough for your hair texture and type
- Not trimming your split ends
- Drying your hair too often
- UV rays exposure
In addition, dry, brittle hair can be a symptom of other medical conditions such as hypothyroidism, hypoparathyroidism, and some eating disorder.
Ways to Fix Dry Brittle Hair
Fear not. There are ways to fix dry and brittle hair. The primary step is to adjust your hair care routine and be mindful of the hair products that you use.
- Use low heat when styling with heat-based hair tools.
- Use shampoo and conditioner that is suitable for your hair type. Avoid washing your hair every day as it can strip off its natural oils resulting in hair dryness.
- Try a coconut oil hair mask.
- Trim off unhealthy hair.
- Protect your hair from the sun’s UV rays.
- Eat foods that support healthy hair.
However, if you don’t see results after lifestyle changes, it is best to make an appointment with your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
Ways to Avoid Dry and Brittle Hair
The good news is that there are ways to reduce dry hair, such as:
- Getting a trim.
- Do not wash your hair too often.
- Add omega-3s to your diet to keep hair healthy.
- Cutting down on heat styling. (Do not use heat styling tools on sopping wet hair!)
- Wearing a hat to protect hair from UV rays.
- Use a colder shower. This can help retain moisture in your hair and scalp as well as seal the hair cuticles. Cold water is also gentler on your hair shaft, which can reduce hair damage.
- Stay away from chemical treatments.
- Do not blow dry soaking wet hair.
Moreover, it is best to consult with your hair stylist for professional recommendations on how to fix dry and fizzy hair. It’s likely the stylist will suggest some kind of hair treatment to reduce frizz and dryness and boost hair health.
At some point, you’ll definitely get that dry and brittle hair, especially when the weather is hot or when you use heating tools too often.
Dry and frizzy is not a reason for a scare as it does not necessarily mean that your overall health is at stake. Still, it’s vital to care for your hair to avoid dryness and frizz.
With that said, you should learn to choose the best hair styling products that suit your hair type and texture and for healthier hair.
If you’re looking for the best shampoo for dry hair, check our articles for top recommendations!
Leah WilliamsLeah Williams is the founder of Lucky Curl and has been in the hair care and styling industry for the last 15 years. Since then, she has developed incredible expertise and a deep understanding of how to treat and style the most difficult hair types and is passionate about sharing her knowledge with the readers of Lucky Curl.
Best Shampoo for Dry Hair – 5 Top-Rated Hydrating Shampoos
Lucky Curl covers 5 of the best shampoos for dry hair. If you have rough, damaged, or brittle strands try these recommendations for hydrated locks.
How Often Should You Wash Dry Hair?
There's no perfect answer as to how often you should wash your hair. Lucky Curl shares when is the best time to wash dry hair. Find out!