Drying thick hair without any styling tool such as a blow dryer is going to take a while, especially when you will be relying on air drying your strands. Unfortunately, this also means leaving your house with hair that is still damp and without any style at all. This won’t do much in terms of confidence, but you can change things by getting the best hair dryer for thick hair.
Best Hair Dryer for Thick Hair – 5 Top-Rated Blow Dryers
Since our goal here is to find the best hair dryers for those who have thick hair, I did some research on hair dryers that I thought will work perfectly with those whose mane need more help. It is a bit hard to choose among the dozens that I have come across, but so far, these ones really stood out for me.
Trezoro Professional Ionic Salon Hair Dryer
One of the best hair dryers that you should consider for your hair type is from Trezoro. It comes with a powerful 2200W DC motor which helps speed up the drying process. You can choose from three heat as well as two speed settings which give you complete control on how to dry and style your mane. Another feature worth mentioning here is its Ionic System that gives that extra shine to your strands. It also makes use of Ceramic Tourmaline technology to minimize frizz while keeping your hair healthy and supple.
When you buy this product, you will find that it will come with two concentrator nozzles which can be used on all hair types and can create various styles too which is a plus. A cool shot button is also present for locking in that style that you like. Maintaining this equipment won’t be difficult at all because it has a detachable filter for removing dirt and dust buildup.
- Powerful motor helps in speeding up the drying process.
- Three heat and two speed settings to choose from.
- Ionic System helps make strands shine.
- Ceramic Tourmaline technology fights frizz while making hair strands stronger, more supple, and healthier too.
- Two concentrator nozzles are included for detailed styling.
- One user complained that the high heat setting also comes with the smell of burnt hair.
- Another user commented that it was heavy and can cause arm fatigue.
- A customer remarked that the blow dryer made the ends of the hair brittle and prone to breakage.
BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Hair Dryer
It is also possible for a dryer hair machine will not only be functional but it can also look nice too. BaByliss PRO’s Nano Titanium dryer certainly fits the bill as it combines a strong 2000w motor with its stylish body. It has an ergonomic design which makes it easier to wield with just one hand, plus the buttons for speed and heat settings are incorporated into the handle for easy toggling. You’ll be happy to know that it also has a Cool Shot feature installed as well which helps in locking your hairstyle after.
What other features can you expect from this product? Well, it has nano titanium ionic technology which is designed to speed up the time it takes to dry your hair and ensuring that there won’t be any frizz to disrupt the beauty of your mane. I like that this product can be used on all hair types, plus the attachment can be used to transform your hair into straight, curly, or wavy even.
- It is equipped with 2000W motor for better heating prowess.
- Ergonomic design helps in alleviating arm fatigue when it is used.
- There are six buttons for heat and speed settings which give you full control over your strands.
- Nano titanium ionic technology not only fights frizz, but it also supports strong and healthy hair.
- A user was disappointed that the dryer did not straighten her hair out properly.
- This doesn’t work well on fine hair as the strong blast of hot air can cook the strands.
- The placement of the buttons on the handle takes time to get used to.
- It is a bit pricey for blow dryers.
BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme Dryer
- Combines Ceramic and Ionic Technology
- 6 Heat / Speed Settings
- 2000 watts for ultra-fast styling
- Uses far infrared technology
As you can see, I have added another product from the same brand. I simply like the way this blow dryer looks with its black color and professional design. BaByliss combined power with technology with their Ceramic Xtreme Dryer which is why I think this is worth considering as one of the best hair dryer today. You will find that it makes use of a lightweight motor with high wattage to shorten the time it takes to dry your strands. Fortunately, the ceramic technology ensures that heat is evenly distributed into the hair strands to minimize brittleness and breakage. It also comes with an ionic system that produces negative ions so that you won’t be dealing with frizz or any hair troubles.
This dryer definitely works best for those who have thick strands since the high power will ensure that your strands will dry up real quick. Style your hair any way you want together with the nozzle attachments which can help focus the blast of heat into your strands real quick.
- Ergonomic design makes it easier to wield especially with one hand.
- The combination of high wattage and a motor that is lightweight has made BaByliss PRO hit the jackpot.
- Ceramic technology helps distribute evenly without making your hair dry and brittle.
- Ionic system tames frizz while giving your strands a boost.
- A customer noticed that this dryer did not speed up the drying process.
- Another reviewer remarked that it was heavy.
- Another user has some issues with the plastic buttons on the handle as they are harder to push when your hands are damp.
Remington D3190 Damage Protection Hair Dryer
One example of the best hair dryers that can be used on thicker hair is from Remington which I chose because of its damage protection feature. It comes with Advanced Coating Technology that delivers three times more protection to your strand while styling, plus its micro-conditioner technology ensures that your mane remains healthy and shiny. I love that it uses ceramic, tourmaline, as well as ionic technologies all of which are beneficial to thick hair. And to ensure that you get to dry your hair fast, Remington makes use of 1875W max power for its motor.
The heat settings have three options to choose from while the setting for the speed only has two. It’s nice that the temperature setting comes with options because I don’t fancy dryers with just single heating. I want to be able to control the heat while drying and styling. Once you are satisfied with the desired hair style, lock it in with a blast of cold air and that’s it. Choose between a diffuser or concentrator when you use this product because each nozzle comes with its own uses. It has a removable filter too to prevent build-up of dirt and dust that may affect the product’s efficiency.
- Advanced Coating Technology is installed to give superior protection on your strands as you blow dry it.
- Micro-conditioner technology helps retain your hair’s natural shine.
- The combination of ceramic, tourmaline, and ion shows how serious Remington is with its dryers to speed up the time when you blow dry it.
- Cool shot helps seal in the moisture and style for hours.
- One user mentioned that it doesn’t work on all hair types.
- The cord is a bit short compared to others which makes it difficult to wield especially when you are drying the back of your head.
- Another complained that the cooling system doesn’t do much in retaining hairstyle.
Revlon 1875W Infrared Hair Dryer
Revlon has been dabbling with health and beauty so it should not come as a surprise that I have included in this list of hair dryer that I think is best for your thick strands. It has the company’s trademark as the Salon Ionic Infrared Styler which you can only enjoy from Revlon’s dryer. It comes with an air outlet combined with Infrared technology to ensure that the amount of heat being produced is even. There is also a button for that cold shot which is placed out of the way. You only have two heat as well as speed settings. In addition, you can choose from the diffuser or concentrator when working on your thick strands.
Take note that it does come with tourmaline technology which is typically used for preventing breakage while heightening your mane’s natural shine. The infrared technology helps heat up the strands from within thus preventing them from becoming brittle.
- Infrared technology focuses heat from within the inner strand to minimize breakage.
- Cool shot feature is also available if you wish to extend the lifespan of your mane.
- It prevents over drying.
- Get to create a variety of styles with a single tool.
- One user was disappointed that it took her forever to dry her hair.
- Uneven distribution of weight makes it unwieldy. The top portion of the dryer hence it has a tendency to topple.
- Another complained that the amount of heat that it produces is not enough to dry one’s thick mane.
How to Choose the Best Dryer for Thick Hair?
Finding the best hair dryer for your thick mane is going to be a bit of a challenge especially when there are dozens of options to choose out there. Some are professional-looking while others are a bit fancy, but do they really get the job done? I thought it would be a good idea to help you find the right blow dryer to use for your thick strands by sharing with you tips on what to look for when shopping for one.
- Wattage. Since you have thicker strands look for a dryer for hair that has a wattage between 1800 and 2000. A dryer needs to have a strong motor in order to produce sufficient heat to handle your type of hair, otherwise, the drying time will take longer.
- Weight. You should also consider getting one that is lightweight to minimize arm fatigue. Keep in mind that since your mane is thicker than others, you will need to blast each section for a few minutes. Imagine having to do this with a heavy blower and you know you’re going to spend time looking for one that will not be too difficult to wield.
- Technology. Another aspect to consider when shopping for the best hair dryer is the type of technology it uses. Most choose a ceramic coated dryer, but for your thick mane, experts recommend that you get one made from tourmaline or has ionic technology. Infrared ceramic and porcelain dryers will come in handy if you want to minimize breakage since these materials are known to produce even heating.
- Settings. Heat settings are essential too in any hair dryer which is why you need to make sure that yours will give you enough control over how much heat you will be using for your hair type.
- Cool Shot Button. This is another handy feature that you should look for in a dryer as pressing this button will deliver a blast of cold air on your mane to help seal in the style.
- Attachments. Look at the attachments that come with the dryer such as nozzle, comb, and concentrator. These accessories are useful when drying and styling your thick strands.
Helpful Tricks for Drying Thick Hair
If you have been thinking of how you will be able to dry your thick hair, you should try these tricks out. These steps have been recommended by various hairstylists on how to make your thick hair work to your advantage.
- Air dry your hair. Professional stylists recommend that you should air dry your thick hair as much as you can. Get up early to take a bath or a shower then do other tasks, such as eating, preparing your outfit, and whatnot, to give your hair some time to dry.
- Use tourmaline or ceramic dryer. If you have long, thick hair, the best hair dryer for you is one that is made from either ceramic or tourmaline as they are designed to dry hair quickly without damaging hair strands.
- Divide hair into sections. Sectioning your hair is one of the fastest ways of making your thick hair dry in no time. Avoid blow drying your hair from top to bottom as it will cause the top layers to become damp when they touch wet hair.
- Use the nozzle. The attachments included in the dryer can help concentrate the flow of hot air better thus making it easier to achieve dry hair. This is important too if you want to achieve a smoother finish for your strands.
- Get the right tools. If you wish to cut the drying time as much as possible, then look for accessories that can be used together with the best dryer. For example, you can get a microfiber hairbrush where the bristles are designed to scoop up any excess water from the strands so you can start using a blow dryer faster.
- Alternate temperature. Another trick to drying your mane is to switch from hot to cold. Start by heating your hair for a few seconds before switching to cold to lock the style in place. This way, you are not only drying your strands but styling them as well at the same time.
Having thick hair shouldn’t stop you from achieving beautifully styled mane. With the right tools and using the tricks above, you can step outside with confidence knowing that no amount of sunlight or humidity even will make your hair look sad.
I am surprised that there are several brands that I have to choose from for a hair dryer, just so I will be able to land the best dryer for one’s hair. Based on what I have read, I think that the Remington D3190 is the logical choice. Why, you ask? Well, for starters it does it is equipped with Advanced Coating Technology that guarantees that your strands will remain healthy and less prone to breakage.
It also comes with different heat settings so you can switch back and forth. This gives you complete control over your hair as you work on each section. The only problem is that the cord appears to be short, so you will find it challenging to use it especially on the back of your head.
Blow dryers are great to have at home, especially when you have thick hair. The brands mentioned above are just a few of my suggestions, but I bet that you will get the best one from this list.
Leah WilliamsLeah Williams is the founder of Lucky Curl and has been in the hair care and styling industry for the last 15 years. Since then, she has developed incredible expertise and a deep understanding of how to treat and style the most difficult hair types and is passionate about sharing her knowledge with the readers of Lucky Curl.
Is the Dyson Hair Dryer Good for Thick Hair?
We explore the benefits and features of the Dyson hair dryer and whether or not it is effective for drying thick hair. Read on for the full hair dryer review.
Can I Blow Dry My Hair Everyday?
Is it safe to blow dry your hair everyday? If you're asking, can I blow dry my hair everyday, read this article to find out!